- B.Sc. (Food Science and Nutrition), Srinakharinwirot University (1993)
- M.Eng. (Food Engineering), King Mongkut’s University of Technology Thonburi (2000)
- D.Eng. (Food Engineering), King Mongkut’s University of Technology Thonburi (2005)
Encapsulation; Controlled Release; Digestion in GI-tract; Effects of food processing parameters and food components on bioavailability and bioaccessibility; Electrospinning/Electrospraying of Biopolymer
- Visiting Scientist: Cluster of Food and Health, Food Research Institute (IFR), UK
March 2006 to Present
- Site Director, Food Engineering Practice School, Department of Food Engineering, King Mongkut’s University of Technology Thonburi
- Researcher, Department of Food Engineering, King Mongkut’s University of Technology Thonburi
June 2004-Nov 2005
- Visiting Ph.D. Student, Department of Food Science, University of Massachusetts (Amherst), USA.
- Research Assistance, Department of Food Science, University of Massachusetts (Amherst), USA.
Awards and Scholarships
|2016||Tanner Awards for the most cited articles published in Journal of Food Science (2013): Institute of Food Technologist (IFT)|
|2014||Research Award for Advanced Research in Science and Technology, The Asahi Glass Foundation|
|2011-2012||Who’s Who in Science and Engineering, Marquis Who’s Who, New Providence, USA (11th Edition)|
|2011||Discovery Based Development Scholar, NSTDA|
|2010||Thailand Research Fund (TRF) Young Researcher Scholar|
|2008||The 2nd Place Award (Poster contest), Food Innovation Asia Conference 2008. (with Wong-gnam W. and Siriwattanayotin S.)|
|2006||A Very Good Ph.D. thesis Award (Food Science and Biotechnology), Agro-Industry Academic Council Association (AIAC)|
|2005||Research Assistant Scholarship, Department of Food science, University of Massachusetts (Amherst), USA.|
|2003-2006||Ph.D. Scholarship, Royal Golden Jubilee Ph.D. Program, Thailand Research Fund (TRF).|
|2002||Research Scholarship, King Mongkut’s University of Technology Thonburi|
|1993||Excellent Presentation Award of Senior Project, Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Srinakarinvirot University, Thailand|
Selected Professional Services and Memberships:
Invited Speaking Engagements
- Agro-based ultrafine fibers: Fabrication and Potential uses as active compounds delivery vehicle in GI-Tract. International Congress on Food Engineering and Technology (IFET) 2012.
- Coaxial Ultrafine Fibers: The potential vehicle for bioactive compound delivery in GI-tract. NanoThailand 2010: Nanotechnology for a Sustainable World. Thailand.
- “Ultrafine fibrous films for delivery of drug/nutraceuticals in GI tract” BIT’s 1st Annual World Congress of Nanomedicine-2010, Beijing, China.
- “Nanotechnology in foods and packagings” NSTDA Annual Conference (NAC) 2009. National Science and Technology Development Agency, Thailand: March 12-13, 2009.
- “Advance in food processing: Nanotechnology in foods” Visiting of Rajamangala University of Technology Lanna; Bangkok.
Reviewer of International Journals
- Journal of Food Engineering
- Carbohydrate Polymer
- Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry
- Express Polymer Letters
- Food Chemistry
- Journal of Applied Polymer Science
- Drying Technology-An International Journal
- Food and Bioprocess Technology
- Journal of Food Process Engineering
- Polymer Journal
- Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology
- Member, Institute of Food Technologists (IFT) (2008-present)
Refereed International Journal Articles
- Pitigraisorn P., Srichaisupakit K., Wongpadungkiat N., Wongsasulak 2017. “Encapsulation of Lactobacillus acidophilus in moist-heat-resistant multilayered microcapsules” Journal of Food Engineering, 192, 11-18.
- Laelerdpon N., Wongsasulak S., Yoovidhya T., Devahastin S. 2014. “Microencapsulation of Lactobacillus acidophilus in alginate-zein core-shell microcapsules via electrospraying”. Journal of Functional Foods, 7, 342-439.
- Kiatyongchai T., Wongsasulak S., Yoovidhya T. 2014. “Coaxial Electrospinning and release characteristics of cellulose acetate-gelatin blend encapsulating a model drug” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 131, 40167-40172.
- Wongsasulak S., Pathumban, S., Yoovidhya, T. 2014. “Effect of entrapped α-tocopherol on mucoadhesivity and evaluation of the release, degradation, and swelling characteristics of zein-chitosan composite electrospun fibers” Journal of Food Engineering, 120, 110-117.
- Ai-tang R., Utarak H., Yoovidhya T., Intasanta V., Wqongsasulak S. 2013 “Fabrication and antifungal activity of cellulose acetate-based fibers encapsulating natural neem seed oil” Advanced Materials Research, 747, 166-169.
- Wongsasulak S., Puttipaiboon N., Yoovidhya T. “Fabrication, gastromucoadhesivity, swelling, and degradation of zein-chitosan composite ultrafine fibers” Journal of Food Science, 78, N926-935.
- Pittarate C., Yoovidhya T. Srichumpuan W. Intasanta N. and Wongsasulak S. 2011. “Effects of poly(ethylene oxide) and ZnO nanoparticles on the morphology, tensile and thermal properties of cellulose acetate nanocomposite fibrous film” Polymer Journal, 43, 978-986.
- Sakuldoa S., Wongsasulak S. and Yoovidhya T. 2011. “Coaxial electrospinning and sustained release properties of gelatin-cellulose acetate core-shell ultrafine fibres” ScienceAsia, 37, 335-343.
- Kanjanapongkul K., Wongsasulak S. and Yoovidhya T. 2010. “Prediction of clogging time during electrospinning of zein solution: Scaling analysis and experimental verification” Chemical Engineering Science, 65(18), 5217-5225.
- Kanjanapongkul, Wongsasulak S. and Yoovidhya T 2010. “Investigation and Prevention of Clogging during Electrospinning of Zein Solution” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 118(3), 1821-1829.
- Wongsasulak S., Tongsin P., Intasanta N. and Yoovidhya T. 2010. “Effect of glycerol on solution properties governing morphology, glass transition temperature and tensile properties of electrospun zein film” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 118(2), 910-919.
- Wongsasulak S., Patapeejumruswong M., Weiss J., Supaphol P. and Yoovidhya T. 2010. “Electrospinning of food-grade nanofibers from cellulose acetate and egg albumen blends” Journal of Food Engineering, 98(3), 370-376.
Selected Presentation with Paper/Abstract
- Srichai P., Yoovidhya T., Rungrassamee W., Wongsasulak S. 2016. “Fabrication and durability in water of bilayer capsules as an active compound delivery vehicle for shrimp” 2016 Global Conference on Engineering and Applied Science. Premier Hotel Tsubaki Sapporo, Hokkaido, Japan. July 19-21.
- Pitigraisorn P., Yoovidhya T., Wongsasulak 2014. “Effect of okara on moist-heat resistance of probiotics entrapped in alginate based microcapsules” The 16th Food Innovation Asia Conference 2014. BITEC, Bangkok, Thailand. June 12-13.
- Tungrungarun P., Yoovidhya T., Wongsasulak S. 2014. “Antifungal property of neem seed oil and its volatiles against Aspergillus flavus and Aspergillus parasiticus” The 3rd Thailand-Malaysia Graduate Forum in Life Science, Food Science and Agriculture 2014. Kasetsart University, Bangkok, Thailand. December 16-20.
- Utarak H., Yoovidhya T., Wongsasulak S. 2014. “Antifungal properties of natural neem seed oil and its release characteristics from cellulose fibers” The 16th Food Innovation Asia Conference 2014. BITEC, Bangkok, Thailand. June 12-13.
- Bawornruttanaboonya K., Tawatsinlapasorn N., Yoovidhya T., Wongsasulak S., Devahastin S. 2014. “Microencapsulation of Lactobacillus acidophilus and its survival during moist-heat treatment” The 16th Food Innovation Asia Conference 2014. BITEC, Bangkok, Thailand. June 12-13.
- Wongsasulak S., Pathumban S., Yoovidhya T. 2013. “Zein-Based Ultrafine Fibers: Mucoadhesivity, Digestive Resistibility and Release Characteristics in Gastric Fluids” IFT Annual Meeting+Food ExpoÒ. Chicago, USA. July 13-16.
- Ai-Tang R., Utarak H., Yoovidhya T., Intasanta V., Wongsasulak S. 2013. “Fabrication and antifungal activity of cellulose acetate-based fibers encapsulating natural neem seed oil” Advanced Materials Research 747:166-169.
- Moysan L., Wongsasulak S. 2013. “Fabrication of egg albumen-alginate core-shell icrocapsules as an encapsulating structure for probiotics delivered in gastro-intestinal tract” The 15th Food Innovation Asia Conference 2013. BITEC, Bangkok, Thailand. June 13-14.
- Laelorspon N., Devahastin S., Yoovidhya T., Wongsasulak S. 2013. “Microencapsulation of probiotics in alginate-zein core-shell microcapsules by electrospraying” The 15th Food Innovation Asia Conference 2013. BITEC, Bangkok, Thailand. June 13-14.
- Luengjarasla P., Yoovidhya T. and Wongsasulak S. 2012. “Antibacterial properties of cellulose acetate-poly(ethylene oxide)-zinc oxide nanoparticles nanocomposite fibrous film” NanoThailand 2012. Khon Kaen, Thailand. March 9-11.
- Puttipaiboon N., Yoovidhya T. and Wongsasulak S. 2012. “Fabrication and gastro-mucoadhesive property of zein-chitosan blend ultrafine fibrous films” NanoThailand 2012. Khon Kaen, Thailand. March 9-11.
- Weiss, J., Kanjanapongkul, K., Wongsasulak, S., & Yoovidhya, T. (2012). Electrospun Fibers: Fabrication, Functionalities and Potential Food Industry Applications. In Q. Huang (Ed.), Nanotechnology in the food, beverage and nutraceutical industries. Cambridge, UK: Woodhead Publishing Limited.
- Kiatyongchai T., Yoovidhya T. and Wongsasulak S. “Coaxial electrospinning spinneret for core-shell fiber formation” Petty Patent #8319.
- Kobsak Kanjanapongkul, Saowakon Wongsasulak and Tipaporn Yoovidhya. “A technique for prevention of clogging during film production using electrospinning” Petty Patent #6117.